Friday, November 19, 2010

Gettin' into the Groove

I'm now in week 3 of training and I'm starting to get into my groove again. Now this doesn't mean that I'm still NOT tired nor does it mean that I'm any better at any of the three sports. What it means is that I've accepted training as being part of my daily/weekly routine. I have no problems getting up in the morning and going to swim at the Aquatics Center, no matter how late I get up and I have no problems with Saturday morning trainings. All in all, training is moving right along and I just hope to get faster and in better shape as the months continue and not get sucked into all of the Holiday feasts that will be looming over my head or better yet, my tummy!

The Swim
It's getting a lot better. I no longer have to stop and breath at the end of the 25m length, I can continue on. I have yet to dive into the 50m pool though. It's just so cold and is always full. I am also a little intimidated by the seemingly "faster" swimmers that swim there. Last Tuesday we did a drill that helped rotate your body, I think this drill will help me breath on my left side. Currently I can only take breaths on my right side resulting in a breath only taken at every second or fourth stroke. Ideally I could take a breath at every 3rd stroke alternating sides. I'm still the slowest person in my lane during our team swims but I'm okay with that. I'm just a girl trying to get to the other side of the pool =)

The Bike
I did a short ride with Bernie and Gabe last weekend after practice. It was just down our usual route, the LA River Trail. I think we did 7-8 miles? We casually cruised on our bikes just to get back into the swing of things. I luckily didn't fall as I am getting more confident with my bike clips. I also made it through the gate without getting off of my bike, a big accomplishment for me.... hahah Next test will be if I can get up that DAMN hill by myself when need be. I will be channeling the power of Coach Ludo the first time I attempt it this season =p

The Run
Well... I still HATE it =) Last week we ran for 40 minutes. Not far for those of us that walk a big part of it. I had to use the bathroom before I started my run so I was exhausted just trying to catch up to the last group that took off. Once I finally reached them, they were doing 2/2's 2 min walk/2 min run. I was keeping up but cursing at the same time. We eventually slowed it down to 1/1 and with a small sprint to the finish at the end.

All in all, I'm happy with how things are going. I'm taking my training seriously and hope to be confident before I leave for Hawaii. I'm really excited about this race so I intend to keep up with my training. Sorry no funny stories yet, we have our first team bike practice this Saturday (if the weather permits) so there my be some funny stories next time =)

Fundraising update
I currently have a check for $1500 that has yet to be deposited. I will be turning that in this weekend so I hope it will be in my account this week. I will be participating in a group fundraiser at 55 Degree Wine on Friday, Dec. 3rd. It'll be $30 for a tasting of 4 wines with 50% going to my fundraising! If you don't have plans, come out and join me and support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. There's going to be a great Silent Auction as well! Hope to see you there!

Friday, December 3 · 7:00pm - 10:00pm
55 Degree Wine & Lounge
111 Glendale Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA

http://pages.teamintraining.org/los/lavatri11/jalbaa