Monday, February 20, 2012

Hike to Eagle Rock _ TNT Hike #2

Hike #2 was in the Santa Monica Mountains above Reseda. This hike was beautiful! It was open with nice wide trails and very few signs of city life. We hiked our way to the Eagle Rock. It was a bit of a work out for me. I know, I brag about all the medals I have from previous races but when I say I took a break, I really take a break from training. I was huffing and puffing making my way along the trails. It was all manageable but it was a nice workout. Our hike that day was about 3.5 hours.

When we finally reached the Eagle Rock, I first wasn't going to walk up to it. Everyone was going and then I thought to myself, why the heck did you join if you're
not going to take full advantage. So I went. It wasn't as bad as it looks but I was still a little nervous. My mentor Becky, let me borrow one of her walking poles to calm my nerves a little. Once I got up there, it was beautiful. Still very nervous, I took some photos but wasn't as adventurous as some of the other team mates who were doing yoga poses at the top. All in all it was a great hike.

Click HERE to see all my photos from the hike.

I need to get the proper gear. I can't wait till our gear clinic this weekend so I get proper hiking boots/shoes and a a good backpack. My shoulders were starting to hurt a little towards the end of the hike and I'm pretty sure its a combination of being out of shape and not having a good backpack. I think I will invest in the walking poles. Coach Doug highly reccomends them for our Event Hike in the Grand Canyon.

So far so good, I'm loving the Hike Team!