Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Short and sweet

Well Saturday was our first open water swim in Long Beach. The staff met early to get our own workouts in before all the participants arrived. I met up with the staff at 6:30am to squeeze into my new long sleeved wetsuit. Just as before, the wetsuit is too long for my short 4'10" body and the neckline came up to the middle of my neck and was bound to affect my breathing.
Coach Peter recommended that next time when I put it on again that I try to not pull it up too high so that the neckline can fit wear it's supposed to. Hopefully that'll work.

So we Bernie, Talane and I get in. We just joke around and swim casually. The water is gross and I found myself spitting half of the time. I would come up and take a break and water would be dripping from my swim cap down my face and into my mouth. Thus causing me to spit.... I imagine that the Potomac won't be any better. It wasn't a great swim, more of just a swim for me to get out there and feel comfortable in open water again. I didn't freak out. It wasn't scary I guess because I could swim 10 meters to land. I probably would freak out if I swam in ocean though.

Last night Bernie and I went swimming at Echo Park and got in a good 40 minute swim. I'm trying to just build my endurance in order to get the job done. I know I will not be fast so I just want to be able to get through the race in September.

For now, the plan is to swim at Long Beach every Sunday until the race. Slowly working our way to the full length of the swim. Anyone is welcomed to join!