Tuesday, April 7, 2009

stroke, stroke, stroke.......BREATHE!

A blog has been set up for Justine....check it out: http://justinekickscancer.org/

A new method I'm trying out is to comfortably breathe on both sides while swimming. I comfortably breathe on my right side after two strokes. It's not easy gasping for air when you have to concentrate on which side's turn you're supposed to breathe. So I started out with the drills I learned in my intermediate swim class at the RBAC. Hold the paddle board upright pushing against the water and practice breathing and kicking. So I first practiced breathing entirely on my left side. Kicking, head down: exhale, exhale, head up, BREATHE....repeat. The BREATHE is not an exaggeration. It is exactly how I talk to myself in my head......BREATHE NOW *GASP*! When you're learning to swim, you're thinking of so many things "okay turn your body, stretch out, don't splash the water when going into a new stroke, turn your head, kick from the hips"......the list goes on and on. Breathing is the toughest part. You take in water, you pull your head out too much, you lift your head instead of turning it to lay on your extended arm. It's a lot of nervous concentration going on there!

After a few laps with the paddle board, we parted ways and I went out on my own. I successfully was able to take a few breathers from my left and right side but about half way through the lane, I needed to stick to my right side. This happened on a few laps and then I finally said "enough for today" and just swam breathing only on my right side.

I think it's my endurance that's holding me back. To breathe on both sides you have to stroke, stroke, STROKE, BREATHE. When you breathe on one side, you don't have to hold your breath as long and only have to stroke, stroke, breathe. I've been very comfortable with the one sided breathing that holding out for that extra stroke, is throwing me off. I guess with more practice and getting myself back into shape, I can eventually get there. For the first time in a long time I actually got water up my nose.....not so fun! I really need to get that waterproofed ipod I've been eyeing for months. I think it will help me stay in the pool longer and concentrate less on me swalling clorine water.....yuck!